Basic Food Microbiology
Time limit: 45 days
Sorry! The enrollment period is currently closed. Please check back soon.
Full course description
Understanding the basics of microbial contamination issues in foods and food production facilities is one of the most important aspects to ensure implementation of better food safety practices. The course is structured as a combination of several modules covering overview of historical development of food microbiology and food safety, classification of microorganisms associated with food and their sources, growth and survival of microorganisms in food products, factors for microbial growth in food/food processing environments, etc.
- Teach basic concepts of biological and microbial hazards associated with food products and processing facilities.
- Identify the factors that affect the survival and growth of microorganism and the conditions of growth in food products.
- Sequence in chronological order the historical growth of food microbiology as a scientific discipline and its association with food safety.
- Detect 3 microorganisms that are associated with foods
- Describe 3 methods of classification of microbes in foods
- List 3 growth conditions of microorganisms.
- Identify 3 factors associated with growth and prevalence of microorganisms.
- Summarize in writing 3 sources of microorganisms found in different types of food and food products.
This course is free and is 0.3 CEU.